Policies current as of 11/25/17.
This page lays out my review policies, what I’m looking for (and not looking for), and the boring legal stuff I have to put here to cover both our butts. I accept books for review from authors, publishers, and publicists, and I accept both traditionally-published books and self-published/Indie books, as well as ARCs. I do not accept every book offered to me (although I do respond to every offer), and I will not review books I haven’t read.
When reviewing books, I will …
- Mention in the post if I’ve received the book as a review copy (it’s a legal thing, I have to)
- Post honest reviews – if I hate it, I will say so, but I’ll also explain why
- Review books I couldn’t finish, explaining why I couldn’t finish them
- Use cover images – so permission to use yours is appreciated
- Post reviews on other sites (e.g. Amazon, Goodreads) if requested
- If not requested, it may still end up there, but that’s at my discretion
What I Accept
This is my preferred type of book to review. I define “LGBT+ books” as books that contain one or more major characters with one of or any combination of the following cannonical identities:
- Gay, lesbian, bisexual, or pansexual
- Transgender, intersex, genderfluid, or otherwise nonbinary and/or gender-nonconforming
- Asexual and/or aromantic
Though I’ll occasionally read a book about coming out or dealing with homophobia/transphobia/etc., my preference is books where people are queer and it isn’t a Big Thing. (Example: The Abyss Surrounds Us. The main character is gay and no one bats an eye at it; her relationship is treated the same as two other characters’ heterosexual relationship.)
If the book is not LGBT+, I might still consider it. I will consider books with any (or multiple) of the following:
- POC main character(s)
- Disabled/chronically ill main character(s)
- Setting outside Europe/America (or non-European/American fantasy world)
- POC, LGBT+, and/or disabled or chronically ill author
Steampunk is currently my favorite thing. If you give me steampunk gays I will be extremely happy. I usually accept most speculative fiction genres (fantasy, sci-fi, etc.). Action/adventure/suspense/thriller usually has pretty good shot, too.
I’ve been very interested in solarpunk lately, and I’d be willing to ignore the topic qualifications for a good solarpunk book.
YA has a better chance than adult books, but I will occasionally read adult.
I do accept some categories of nonfiction for review. Here are the nonfiction categories I generally enjoy:
- Self-help/personal development
- Financial (if you can give me a good financial book without fatphobia, I will be very happy)
- Feminism/feminist thought/women’s empowerment
- LGBT+ issues
- Social justice/marginalized people groups
Nonfiction genres I do not accept:
- History (exception: LGBT+ and feminist history)
I do review graphic novels and webcomics. I prefer them to meet one of the topic qualifications listed in my “Fiction” section above, but I’d also be willing to consider one that doesn’t meet any of those qualifications if it’s in a speculative fiction genre and has an interesting or unique concept.
Do not send me
I do not read poetry, short stories, middle grade, picture books, or westerns.
I will NOT review erotica or books with rape/sexual assault/sexual violence.
If you think your book is something I’d be interested in, email jalyn *dot* ely *at* gmail *dot* com with:
- the title
- the author’s name or pen name
- the genre, as specific as possible
- blurb or short description – this is what I base the majority of my decision on, so this should be compelling
- other relevant details (please post on Amazon, this is an ARC and releases on this date, etc.)
DO NOT send attachments – review requests with attachments will be deleted.
I do not accept every book offered, but I do respond to every request.
Current as of 4/5/17.
By offering Jalyn a book to review, you acknowledge:
- you have read these policies
- Jalyn retains the right to refuse your book for any reason
- the only cost to Jalyn for receiving said book is an honest review
- you will not attempt to influence the review through any means
- Jalyn retains the right to not finish reading a book for the following reasons: extreme disinterest in plot and/or characters; occurrence of topics Jalyn will not read about (e.g. rape, sexual assault)
- you do not have the right to prevent a review from publication or remove a review from this site, except in cases where Jalyn did not finish the book, in which case xi will give you the option of publishing a “did not finish” review or having no review posted
- Jalyn retains full, permanent, royalty-free rights to the review, and any modification or distribution is completely at their discretion
- you have the right to share and distribute the review (including the whole review and quotes from the review) provided you have not modified it and you include a link back to the original post (if online) or the attribution “review by Jalyn Ely, jalynreads.wordpress.com” (if in print)
By accepting your book for review, Jalyn agrees:
- xi will read the entire book, except for extreme disintrest in plot and/or characters or occurrence of topics (especially rape or sexual violence) that xi refuses to read about
- xi will write a fair* and honest review
- xi will not require any compensation, monetary or otherwise, for xir review, except for a free copy of the book xi is to review
- xir review will be posted on this blog and on other sites specified on a day xi chooses (unless otherwise arranged)
- xir review will be posted within three months of receipt of the book (unless other arrangements are made to mutual satisfaction)
- you have the right to share and distribute the unmodified review (including the whole review and quotes from it), provided you include a link to the original post (if online) or include the attribution “review by Jalyn Ely, jalynreads.wordpress.com” (if in print)
*Defined as “presenting the elements of the story and the book as a whole, and in negative reviews not excluding redeeming elements.”